Stomach acid plays an important role in our digestion. What ever we eat acid helps to breaks down the food to digest. This is a natural process. In acidity the amount of acid increases in our stomach above the limit is called acidity.
Role of Stomach acid
- Kills harmful bacteria and parasites which enters into your stomach with food.
- Activates the pepsin enzymes to digest protein.
- Gives signals to the pancreas to produce digestive juice and enzymes which digest food.
- Helps intestines to absorb nutrients from digested food.
- Plays an important role in absorbing Vitamin B12, which is very important for proper brain function, nervous system and in the blood forming.
Acidity is the common in all people which is due to unhealthy eating habits. When the acidity level increases to its extreme level it is called hyper acidity. Sometimes acid coming up from stomach to esophagus known as acid reflux. Acid reflux also can be treated naturally by yoga and pranayama.
Yoga is the best exercise for acidity to cure and reduce it naturally. Yoga should be done under expert guidance or consult a doctor before practicing yoga to find the cause of the disease. Nowadays doctors also suggest yoga for acidity and other stomach related problems.
Effective yoga exercises for acidity to cure naturally
- Kapalabhati Pranayama
- Ushtra Asana
- Bhastrika Pranayama
- Anulom Vilom
Excess stomach acid or acidity causes are
- No exercise
Loss of appetite
- Wrong diet
- Tea and coffee
- Spicy food
- Any time eating
- Sometime tension leads to acidity
- Sometimes a weakness of the valve between the stomach and esophagus (food pipe) leads reflux the acid from stomach to lower part of esophagus.
Symptoms of excess stomach acid or acidity
- Burning sensation in just above the stomach
- Stomach pain
- Gas in stomach
- Chest pain
Tips and home remedy
Avoid tea, spicy fried foods, Pickles, Smoking as well as staying hungry for a long time, drinking alcohol and junk food. Drink more water to clean your stomach which help in proper smooth bowel movement.
- You can take cold cow milk before going to bed at night to cure acidity.
- Have a habit to drink warm water after meal at night which helps in proper digestion.
- You can chew piece of jaggery after every meal. Potassium present in the jaggery help to balance the stomach acid. Diabetes patients should not take jaggery.
- Sucking ginger is also very beneficial to neutralize stomach acid.
- Guava cures acidity. Eat guava which is one of the fruits which helps in proper digestion and removing gases from the body. Should not eat guava at night. You can eat guava in the morning and after lunch.
Precaution during Yoga Exercises for Acidity
- Consult your doctor before practicing any exercise to find the root cause. Practice under expert guidance.