Yoga is the perfect solution to manage and control your blood pressure. Only yoga provides complete relaxation to your body, mind and soul. Yoga and pranayama gives excellent benefits for those suffering from low blood pressure as well as high blood pressure.
What is blood pressure?
Blood pressure is the force of the blood in the arteries. When our heart beats, it pumps blood around the body to give energy and oxygen. In this blood flows against the walls of arteries. This strength of flowing blood is called blood pressure. If your blood pressure is high then it may lead to heart problems like heart attack and blockages in arteries. This high blood pressure is called as hypertension.
Cause of high blood pressure (hypertension)
- High amount of salt in food.
- No exercise.
- Weight gain.
Cause of low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Dehydration – Due to vomiting, diarrhea or by fever.
- Thyroid problems.
- Low blood sugar.
- Heart problems.
- Nervous system disorder.
- May be due to medication to treat high blood pressure.
- Pregnancy- Blood vessels expands during pregnancy and the blood pressure decreases. But these changes are normal and goes after delivery.
Readings of blood pressure
Blood pressure recorded as the Systolic pressure (when the heart beats) and Diastolic pressure (when the heart relaxes). BP is measured in mm Hg (millimeters of mercury).
- In healthy person the BP is 120 mm / 80 mm, that is systolic 120mm and diastolic is 80mm.
- lower blood pressure – below 90/60mm.
- High-normal blood pressure – between 120/80mm and 140/90mm.
- High blood pressure – equal to or more than 140/90mm
Benefits of yoga for controlling high blood pressure
- Yoga relaxes body, mind and soul.
- Controls blood pressure.
- Cures depression, stress and anxiety.
- Improves blood circulation in the body.
- Reduces heart problems like heart attack and strokes.
- Strengthens the mind.
- Cures insomnia (Sleeping Disorder).
- Removes toxins from the body.
- Gives positive energy.
- Helps to control anger.
- Supplies more oxygen and blood to various organs of the body.
- Yoga helps to manage your lifestyle.
- Increases positive thinking.
- Improves immunity.
- Improves concentration.
Practicing below yoga poses and pranayama regularly gives excellent benefits
Seven pranayama are the complete breathing exercises which removes negative energy from the body and supplies positive energy. Pranayama brings stability in mind and soul.
Pranayama for high blood pressure and low blood pressure.
- Bhastrika Pranayama
- Kapalbhati Pranayama
- Bahya pranayama
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama and Nadi Shodhan
- Bharmari Pranayama
- Udggeth Pranayama
- Pranav Pranayama
Yoga poses for high blood pressure and low blood pressure
- Balasana – Child pose
- Pawanmuktasana – wind removing pose.
- Shavasana – Sleeping straight on back
- Marjarisana- Cat pose
Yoga Tips for managing and controlling blood Pressure
- More vegetables and fruits.
- Eat less salt
- Exercise regularly.
- Include fish if you can.
- Say not to dairy products.
- Control your anger
- Control your weight.
- Avoid alcohol
- Become more active.
- Regular blood check up
- Yoga poses and Pranayama.
Precautions for high blood pressure or Hypertension.
- Consult your doctor first before practice yoga. Practice yoga under expert guidance.
- A high blood pressure patient should not overdo any exercise. All pranayama should be done slowly.
- Women should not practice during periods.
You may also like to read:
- Low Blood Sugar Symptoms (Hypoglycemia), Causes and Yoga
- Diabetes Symptoms – How Yoga Control and Cure Diabetes?
- Yoga for Kidney Failure – How Kapalbhati Pranayama Cures kidney?
- Cure Heart Disease By Yoga Pranayama Exercises
- Yoga and Pranayama for High Blood Pressure or Hypertension
- Top Yoga Exercises For Weight Loss
- Losing Belly Fat Fast By Kapalbhati Pranayama at Home
- Cure Depression Stress And Anxiety By Yoga And Pranayama