Friends, let’s understand the meaning of Ardha Matsyendrasana. In the Sanskrit language ‘Ardha‘ means ‘Half‘, ‘Matsya‘ means ‘Fish‘, ‘Indra‘ means ‘King‘ and ‘Asana‘ means ‘Pose or posture‘. So it is called as Ardha Matsyendrasana. Basically, it is stretching of entire spinal cord. Effective in strengthening the spine and bringing flexibility.
Meanings of Ardha Matsyendrasana as below
Ardha = Half
Matsya = Fish
Indra = King
Asana = Posture
Benefits of Ardha Matsyendrasana, Half Twist Pose
- Good for increasing the flexibility and function of vertebrae of the spine.
- Stretches back muscle and spine.
- Cures constipation and indigestion.
- Helps to increases oxygen supply to the lungs.
- Releases stiffness of hip joints.
- Beneficial for slipped disc patient.
- Cures back problems.
- Increases blood circulation to pelvic region as well as improves the function of reproductive organs.
- Effective to cure menstrual problems in women.
- Helpful in treatment of diabetes, constipation, spinal problems, Cervical Spondylitis, Urinary tract disorder.
Steps for Half Twist Pose, Ardha Matsyendrasana
- Sit in Vajrasana position or sit straight with stretching your legs in front of you.
- Bend your left leg and try to touch your feet to your right buttock as shown in the above image.
- Bring your right leg outside of the left knee. Touch your feet to the ground. Keep your spine erect.
- Exhale and turn your upper body to the right. Hold your right feet with a left hand and place your right hand behind you are on the ground as shown in the above image.
- Breathe normally and hold this posture for 20 to 30 seconds. After practice, you can hold this posture for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Now release this posture and repeat this cycle with bending the right leg and bringing left leg outside of the right knee. (i.e. Twisting the opposite direction).
Precautions for Half twist pose
- Should be avoided during pregnancy and periods.
- Heart problems patient and abdominal surgery should not practice this asana.
- Those suffering from severe spinal problems should not practice.
- Should be done under the expert guidance and consult a doctor before practicing any exercise.
You may also like to read:
- Diabetes Symptoms – How Yoga Control and Cure Diabetes?
- Yoga for Kidney Failure – How Kapalbhati Pranayama Cures kidney?
- Cure Heart Disease By Yoga Pranayama Exercises
- Yoga and Pranayama for High Blood Pressure or Hypertension
- Top Yoga Exercises For Weight Loss
- Losing Belly Fat Fast By Kapalbhati Pranayama at Home
- Cure Depression Stress And Anxiety By Yoga And Pranayama