Adho mukha svanasana is the Sanskrit word and it is also known as a Downward dog yoga pose. The final pose looks like a dog bending forward which is the best yoga position for the beginners. Let’s see steps and benefits of Adho mukha svanasana step by step.
Downward Dog Yoga Position Steps
- Lie down on your stomach and relax for few seconds like Bhujangasana yoga pose. Keep some distance between feet.
- Now while breathing out lift your hips up. Stretch your hands, back, and legs as shown in above image.
- Try to pull your body back to touch your heel to the floor if possible.
- Hold this position for few seconds and look at your navel.
- Now while inhaling bring your hips down and bend your knees to touch the floor. It is like forming table-like structure.
- After relaxing for few seconds again while breathing out lift your hips up and follow the same.
- Repeat this cycle for few more times.
Downward Dog Yoga Benefits
- Downward facing dog pose is effective to stretch and strengthen your abdominal muscles.
- It is a good exercise to improve your blood circulation in your head region. The inverted position increases the flow of fresh blood to the brain.
- Improves the function of digestive system.
- Strengthens and tones your arms, ankles, legs, and feet.
- Strengthens bones which help prevents osteoporosis.
- Relieves pain in upper, lower, middle and upper back.
- Calms your body and reduces anxiety, and stress.
Down Facing Dog Yoga Precautions
The downward dog pose should be avoided if you are suffering from
- High blood pressure
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Problems related to eyes
- A headache
- Cardiac disorders
- Shoulder injuries