Low blood sugar is known as hypoglycemia. In our previous article we have seen the low blood sugar symptoms and causes. When your blood sugar drops below 70 mg/DL it is considered as low blood glucose. You require immediate treatment to avoid further complications. If it is not treated on time or correctly it may result in seizures, coma or nervous system disorder. For treating hypoglycemia you should understand the symptoms so you can help yourself and others.
Signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
It vary from person to person. Symptoms can be seen in non diabetic patient also. Most of the time diabetic patients those are on insulin and other medicine may notice below symptoms of hypoglycemia.
- Extreme hunger
- Weakness or fatigue
- Lose consciousness
- Fast heartbeat
- Skin may turn cold and clammy
- Sudden changes in mood
- Headache and dizziness
Read more for – Mild, moderate and sever low blood sugar symptoms
Treating hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
Important things to do if you are suffering from hypoglycemia
1. Stop activity and make yourself safe
If you are walking, jogging, riding or driving a car you should stop your activity immediately once you noticed any of the above symptoms. You should find a place to relax and just sit down. Sugar is very important for proper body function. If it is below normal level then you can lose consciousness.
2. Eating or drinking sugar products (carbohydrates) immediately
- You must eat or drink sugar products (carbohydrates) to normalize your glucose level.
- Drink any sugar drink if it is available that time.
- Hard candies.
- 3 or 4 glucose tablets.
- 2 tablespoons of honey in one glass of water.
- Fruit juice.
- 2 Tablespoons of raisins.
- You should eat 15 to 20 grams of sugar or carbohydrate until your blood sugar level comes at 70 mg/DL or higher.
If not you should eat again and wait for 15 minutes to check your blood sugar level.
3. Consult your doctor
Still you find a decrease in glucose level you should go to the doctor. You should not ignore it. It may result in seizures, coma or nervous system disorder. After all precaution is better than cure.
4. Glucagon injection for treating hypoglycemia
If some one is aware of giving glucagon injection then it can be given to increase level of blood sugar. But then also doctor advice is must if he is available.
Causes of low blood sugar
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Disorder of liver kidneys
- Endocrine deficiencies
Yoga therapy for treating hypoglycemia
- Improves function of pancreas.
- Enhances power of endocrine gland.
- Strengthens liver and kidney.
You may also like to read: