“Paschima” means your “back” and “Uttana” means “stretching“. This asana covers the stretching of the whole body from head to heels so it is called as Paschimottanasna.
Benefits of Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend Pose)
- It acts as a stress reliever.
- Reduces fatty deposits in the abdomen.
- Remove anxiety, anger and irritability.
- Calms the mind.
- Stretches the spine and brings flexibility.
- Good for constipation and digestive disorder.
- Useful for increasing height.
- Regular practice cure impotency and enhance the sexual power.
- Tones the abdominal pelvic organs.
- Balance the menstrual cycles.
- This asana is recommended especially for women after delivery.
Steps for Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend Pose)
- Sit down straight with your legs together by stretching in front of you. keep your head neck and spine erect.
- Place the palms on your respective knees.
- Now bend your head and trunk slowly forward to catch the toes with the thumb, index and middle fingers without bending knees.
- Take a deep breath and exhale slowly. Try to touch your head to your both knees as shown in above image.
- Bend the arm and try to touch the elbow on the floor.
- Exhale completely and holding out your breath stay in this posture for a few seconds.
- After few seconds slowly return to your starting position.
- breathe normally.
- Repeat this for 3-4 times.
Precautions for Forward Bend Pose
- Pregnant women should not practice Paschimottanasana.
- Person suffering from slip disc or sciatica problem, asthma should avoid Paschimottanasana.
- Ulcer patient should not practice.
View more yoga poses
You may like to read
1. Top Weight Loss Exercises and Diet Tips
2. Top Health Problems
3. Top Home Remedies
4. Top Health Tips
5. Pranayama – Breathing Exercises
You may also like to read
- Diabetes Symptoms – How Yoga Control and Cure Diabetes?
- Yoga for Kidney Failure – How Kapalbhati Pranayama Cures kidney?
- Cure Heart Disease By Yoga Pranayama Exercises
- Yoga and Pranayama for High Blood Pressure or Hypertension
- Top Yoga Exercises For Weight Loss
- Losing Belly Fat Fast By Kapalbhati Pranayama at Home
- Cure Depression Stress And Anxiety By Yoga And Pranayama