In Sanskrit language the word “Shirsha” means head and “asana” means pose. So it is called shirshasana.
- Sit on knees like Vajrasana position and interlock the fingers of both hands and place them in front on the yoga mat.
- Slowly place your head in to the hollow of palms.
- Slowly lift your both legs towards upwards and keep it straight. You can take help of the wall or your friend while practicing this position.
- The body should be in a straight line from down to up.
- Breathe normally in this position for 15 to 20 seconds or more than that if you can.
- Now slowly release pose to come to starting position by lower down your legs (Bending in Knees)one by one.
- Repeat this for 3-4 cycles.
- You can practice it for 1 minute to a maximum of 5 minutes in the beginning. After good practice you can increase duration. It really all depends on your level. In the beginning try it for 1 minute. If you feel comfortable then increase time.
Benefits of Shirshasana (Headstand Pose)
- Increase blood circulation in brain and improve brain function and memory.
- Cure Insomnia (Suffering from sleeping disorder)
- Improves digestion.
- Those suffering from liver disease, headache, poor blood circulation, this asana is very beneficial.
- Cures spine problems.
- Improves concentration.
- Relaxes the mind.
- Help to improve mental balance.
- Good for increasing memory.
- Releases anxiety.
- Stimulate and regulates all the body systems.
Precaution for Shirshasana (Headstand Pose)
- Those suffering from cough and cold, constipation, heart disease, head injuries or neck problem, high blood pressure or low blood pressure should avoid practicing this asana.
- Women should not practice during periods.
View More Yoga Poses
You May Also Like to Read
1. Diabetes Symptoms – How Yoga Control and Cure Diabetes?
2. Yoga for Kidney Failure – How Kapalbhati Pranayama Cures kidney?
3. Cure Heart Disease By Yoga Pranayama Exercises
4. Yoga and Pranayama for High Blood Pressure or Hypertension
5. Top Yoga Exercises For Weight Loss
6. Losing Belly Fat Fast By Kapalbhati Pranayama at Home
7. Cure Depression Stress And Anxiety By Yoga And Pranayama