In sanskrit ‘Bridge’ means ‘Setu’, ‘Bandha’ means ‘Lock’ and ‘Asana’ means ‘Pose’. The poses look like the shape of the bridge, so this pose is called as bridge poses i.e. Setubandhasana. Basically this pose is effective in relaxing the body and reducing stress. It stretches the chest, spinal cord and neck.
Benefits of bridge pose (Setu Bandhasana)
- Strengthens legs, back neck and chest.
- Relaxes whole body.
- Reduces stress.
- Calms the brain and reduces anxiety.
- Good for pregnant women.
- Improves digestion.
- Cures back pain.
- Cures insomnia.
- Maintains the normal blood pressure.
- Improves blood circulation.
Steps for bridge pose (Setu Bandhasana)
- Lie flat on the ground and keep your arms at your sides.
- Now lift your hips upwards as shown in fig as much you can (Should not over-stretch) with the help of pressing your palms.
- Keep breathing deeply in this position for some time for 20-30 seconds.
- Now relax by touching your hips to the ground i.e. your starting position.
- Repeat this cycle for 3-4 times.
Precaution for bridge pose (Setu Bandhasana)
- Pregnant women should practice carefully and should not practice with full force during pregnancy.
- Should be practiced under expert guidance.
- Legs and feet should be parallel.
- Those having injuries to the neck, shoulder and spine problem should not practice.
- Always consult a doctor before practicing any exercise.
- Pregnant women should always consult a doctor in the last 6-9 months of pregnancy before practicing Bridge pose to avoid any complications.
You may also like to read:
- Low Blood Sugar Symptoms (Hypoglycemia), Causes and Yoga
- Diabetes Symptoms – How Yoga Control and Cure Diabetes?
- Yoga for Kidney Failure – How Kapalbhati Pranayama Cures kidney?
- Cure Heart Disease By Yoga Pranayama Exercises
- Yoga and Pranayama for High Blood Pressure or Hypertension
- Top Yoga Exercises For Weight Loss
- Losing Belly Fat Fast By Kapalbhati Pranayama at Home
- Cure Depression Stress And Anxiety By Yoga And Pranayama
- How Can I Solve Irregular Period Problem by Yoga Poses?