What is depression?
If you feel sad, worthlessness, loneliness, unhappiness and no hope then you may be suffering from depression. Cause of depression can be anything like hectic and stressful life style, competition, breakup, divorce, death, job problem and so many.
How to overcome depression?
As we know that yoga is a union between mind, body and soul. It is consist of breathing exercises (pranayama), yoga poses and meditation. Now a day yoga became the best way to treat depression, stress and anxiety.
Benefits of yoga to overcome depression, anxiety and stress
- Yoga improves concentration
- Helps to increase blood circulation
- Boost memory
- Improves psychological as well as mental health.
- Reduces anxiety, stress and depression
- Increase positive energy and develop positive thinking
- Cures insomnia (Sleep disorder)
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Increases flexibility and muscle stiffness.
- Promote strength
- Helps detoxification
- It calms the mind
- Lose weight
- Reduces high cholesterol
Due to all these benefits it is offered not only in yoga classes but also at hospitals and health centers.
How to overcome depression and anxiety by pranayama
Pranayama is the breathing exercise which plays an important role to reduce stress and depression. Pranayama is only deep breathing. Itt is very simple and can be practiced at home or office. People suffering from depression should practice seven pranayama in the morning or evening on an empty stomach. Those find difficult to practice in the morning or evening can practice during office hours also. Practice at least anulom vilom and bhastrika pranayama for 5-10 minutes each.
When you feel depressed or stressed practice pranayama (Deep breathing) immediately.
- Just sit in a Padmasana or by sitting in office chair also you can do it.
- Close your eyes start breathing deeply and slowly. Concentrate on your breathing only.
- Each breathing should be up to the lungs and diaphragm and not in the stomach.
- Inhale deeply and exhale completely with joy. Think you are exhaling (removing out) all your stress, worry, depression and negativity.
- At least anulom and bhastrik pranayama should be practice on daily basis.
- Should not practice pranayama immediately after your lunch or heavy food. Practice on an empty stomach.
Regular practice of pranayama
- Helps to reduce high blood pressure
- Calms the mind
- Cures mental disorders naturally
- Relieve stress, anxiety and depression
- Boost brain power and concentration
- Prevent and cures heart problems
- Reduces high blood sugar and improve function of pancreas
- Improves function of liver, kidney, pancreas, intestine and heart
- Remove toxins
- Increase positive energy and positivity
- Boost immune power and prevent from cold, cough and fever
Yoga poses for depression
- Sun salutation – Suryanamaskar
- Bow pose – Dhanurasana
- Shoulder Stand
- Corpse pose – Shavasana
Benefits of yoga poses
- Improves flexibility
- Reduces stress, anxiety and depression
- Boost metabolism
- Reduces cholesterol
- Reduces weight and belly fat
- Increases blood circulation
- Strengthens the body
- Refreshes mood
- Overall improves function of the body
Tips to Get rid of depression, anxiety and stress
- Accept stress and bad situation.
- Understand cause of your depression.
- Don’t give up. Try to beat your bad situation with your positive attitude towards life.
- Become sporty in your life. You can face all bad time of your life by your sporty attitude.
- Never blame yourself. Problems are not permanent so face it.
- Do not start drinking alcohol to overcome your stress or depression.
- Connect with good friends.
- Always spend time with positive people.
- Spend time with children or pets.
- Maintain a busy schedule. This way you will not get time to think on negative things or you will not feel sad.
- If you have any good hobby then spend time in it.
- Exercises is the best way to become fresh, energetic and improving mood.