Dhanurasana is very effective in weight loss program. It is a basic posture of Hatha yoga. In this exercise, the final pose looks like the shape of the Dhanush (bow). So it is called as Dhanurasana in Sanskrit. It helps to reduce belly fat fast. It Strengthens ankles, thighs, groins, chest and abdominal organs and spinal cord.
Steps for Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
- Lie on the ground (on stomach) facing downwards.
- Relax completely with 2-3 breaths.
- Inhale slowly and starts bending your legs backward and catch the ankles with the hands as shown in the above image.
- You will see that your body is now in the shape of a bow.
- In this position, your whole weight will come on your abdomen. Only your stomach and pelvic area will touch the ground.
- Hold this position for few 15-20 seconds and continue taking a deep breath. You can increase the time after practicing this.
- Now after 15-20 seconds exhale slowly and come back to starting position.
- Repeat this cycle for 4- 5 times daily.
Benefits of Dhanurasana
- Effective in weight loss.
- Improves digestion and appetite.
- Helps to cure dyspepsia (obesity), rheumatism and gastrointestinal problems.
- Cures constipation.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Gives flexibility to the back.
- Strengthens back muscles.
- Improve the function of liver, pancreas, small intestine, and big intestine.
- Act as a stress reliever.
- Strengthens ankles, thighs, groins, chest, and abdominal organs.
- Cure menstruation disorder.
- Improve function of kidney and liver.
- It improves posture.
- Releases back pain.
- Cures respiratory disorder like asthma.
- Helpful is stimulating reproductive organs.
- Improve function of the pancreas and it is beneficial in diabetes.
Precaution for Dhanurasana
- The person suffering from high blood pressure, back pain, hernia, headache, migraine or abdomen surgery should not do practice Dhanurasana.
- Ladies should not practice yoga during pregnancy and in periods.
View all yoga poses
You may like to read
1. Losing Belly Fat Fast By Kapalbhati Pranayama at Home
2. Top Yoga Exercises and Tips for Fast Weight Loss
3. Yoga Tips and Reasons Why You’re Not Losing Weight
4. How to Lose Belly Fat Through Yoga Poses and Pranayama
5. Fastest Diet to Lose Weight and Yoga Tips
6. How Walking is Effective to lose weight?