What is Arthritis?
Arthritis is known as joint inflammation. Causes pain, stiffness and swelling in a joint or any other part of body. It damages cartilage of the joint and can lead to joint weakness. During the treatment, practicing yoga for arthritis, is one of the best choices. Easy yoga exercises are effective to cure and relieve arthritis pain.
Actually, due to arthritis a person find difficult to perform daily routine work. In most of the cases it is difficult to walk, jogging and climbing stairs. Now a days 40% of people from the age of 40 to 60 are suffering from Arthritis. Even children, teenagers and young generation also find some problems with their joints in the body like wrist, knees and back.
Arthritis should be treated immediately, otherwise it can lead to serious problems with joint and bones. By yoga and pranayama we can get rid of arthritis pain. First we will see the importance of yoga for arthritis ahead and types of arthritis.
Different Types of Arthritis
- Osteoarthritis – In this cartilage or tissues (cushions) within the joints breaks.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – It is known as inflammatory disease which causes pain, swelling, stiffness in the joints.
- Fibromyalgia – Causes widespread pain and stiffness in join muscles.
- Gout – This disease causes intense pain and swelling in the joints. Affect mostly on lower part of the body such as ankles, heels, knees, or toes.
Causes of Arthritis
- Age – The risk of arthritis increases with the age.
- Sex – In women ‘Rheumatoid arthritis’ is more common while in men ‘gout’.
- Joint Injuries – Injury while running or sport may lead to arthritis.
- Obesity – Excess of weight puts stress on joints, particularly on knees, hips and spines. It leads to arthritis.
- Imbalance of body constitution like Veda.
- Occupation – Repetitive bending or squatting work leads to pain in joints.
- Physically inactive– No exercise is also the reason behind the arthritis.
- Infections or illness – An infection in the joint can lead to arthritis.
Benefits of Yoga for Arthritis Patient.
- Brings flexibility in the body.
- Improves blood circulation and function of joint tissues.
- Reduces pain in joints.
- Remove stress and depression, which are important for arthritis patients.
- Yoga and pranayama calms the mind and brings stability.
- Increases positive thoughts and remove toxins from our body.
Easy Yoga Exercises for Arthritis (Yoga poses)
- Warrior Pose (Virabhadrasana)
- Bhujanga Asana
- Pawan Muktasan
- Triangle Pose (Trikonasana)
- Cat Stretch (Marjariasana)
- Balasana (Child’s pose)
Seven Pranayama for Arthritis
Those suffering from arthritis should practice seven pranayama as we discussed in our previous articles. We have seen that our stress and depression also leads to joint pain and joint disorders. Stress reduces the calcium level in our body and which is not good for joints. Pranayama is the excellent breathing exercise which reduces stress and depression naturally. Yoga for arthritis plays an important role to cure your problems naturally.
Pranayama Breathing Exercises for Arthritis
- Bhastrika Pranayama
- Kapalbhati Pranayama
- Bahya pranayama
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama and Nadi Shodhan
- Bharmari Pranayama
- Udggeth Pranayama
- Pranav Pranayama
[Do not miss – Exercises for Knee Pain]
Tips for arthritis patients.
- Drink lots of water.
- Avoid dairy products.
- Regular exercise is must to loose your weight. And it is good for your blood circulation.
- Walking in the morning and evening is very important to strengthen the joints of knees.
- Avoid climbing stairs.
- No alcohol please.
- You can have a ginger which is good to reduce pain.
- Eat more green vegetables and fiber foods and full of vitamin C and vitamin D.
- Try to clean your stomach by yoga exercises.
- Say no to smoking.
- Avoid tea or coffee completely.
- Don’t complain about your joint pain. Try to cure it by simple yoga exercises and pranayama.
- Be positive and keep smiling always which will reduce your stress and anger.
- Fish and eggs are rich in protein but you should consult a doctor before eating.
- Minimize the intake of meat, eggs and chicken. However these are full of proteins but consult a doctor and follow the diet. Because in some cases non-veg diet causes adverse effect in arthritis. So doctor advice is must.
Precautions for Arthritis Patients
- Arthritis patients should practice under expert guidance and should consult a doctor before practicing.
You May Like to Read
- Exercises for Knee Pain