Ujjayi is pranayama is the Sanskrit word. Ujjayi means Vicory 0r Victorious and Pranayama means breathing. Hence it is also called as Victorious breathing. Let’s check Ujjayi pranayama technique and benefits step by step.
Ujjayi Pranayama Technique
- First, sit in the pose of padmasana or Sukhasana.
- Now while deep inhaling, contract your throat which will produce a sound.
- While inhaling air should not touch inside the nose but it should touch the throat. The friction of air within the throat produces peculiar sound.
- Touch your chin to the upper side of your chest. If possible hold your breath for 10 seconds.
- Now while exhaling close your right nostril with the right thumb of the hand.
- Keep in mind that exhaling should be done by the left nostril only.
- Repeat this process for 3-4 times in the beginning. But after a good practice, your can repeat it for 3-11 times.
Ujjayi Pranayama Benefits
- It is effective to cure thyroid disorders.
- Cures snoring problems
- Improves concentration.
- Releases stress and tension.
- Increases energy in the body.
- Calms the mind.
- Cures respiratory problems.
- Reduces the risk of heart disease.
Ujjayi Pranayama Precautions
- If it is not possible then do not hold your breath.
- Practice ujjayi breathing under an expert guidance.
- Do not tighten your throat.
- It should be done on an empty stomach.